Tuesday, November 25, 2014

OoC #3 Review

Nutritional habits of young people in college are predictably subpar. Students find themselves rushing around to finish assignments or to get to class on time, and the first thing to be sacrificed is time for meals.

Laceey Ruble, a Senior at MSU, remembered her mother's fresh veggie pizza and sighed longingly.

"It's not that I can't make it because I don't know how," said Ruble. "I just don't have the time or money for such things."

Ruble says she usually avoids buying fresh produce because it just ends up going bad before she has a chance to eat it.

"I eat a lot of pasta and canned soup," said Ruble. "I probably eat more preservatives than I should."

When asked, a group of students in the MSU library all agreed Taco Bell was their favorite go-to food.

"I know it's bad, but it's so good at the same time." said an MSU Junior, who wished to remain anonymous.

Despite the generally poor dietary choices, students at MSU do have healthy options.

Foods for Living and the East Lansing Food Co-op are two examples of grocers who sell organic and locally grown produce, although some find it a bit more expensive than shopping at Meijer.

"If I had unlimited money, I would shop at organic markets," said Ruble. "The food I buy might still go bad before I get a chance to eat it, though."

No comments:

Post a Comment